Pátek 29. března 2024, svátek má Taťána
130 let

Lidovky.cz

14 authors in search of a Josef Škvorecký Award

13:19

The jury has until mid-August to narrow the field down to five finalists for the literary prize named after the famous Czech author

Visual artist Markéta Baňková, who took home the 2010 Magnesia Litera, is a fresh face on the Czech literary scene foto: © David KumermannČeská pozice

The 14 finalists for the coveted Josef Škvorecký Award for the best Czech work of fiction, now in its fifth year, will not walk away empty-handed — apart from the prestigious accolade of having been nominated, which for lesser-known authors can give a significant boost to book sales, each will receive Kč 10,000. Then again, who remembers who came in second? And the cash prize for the eventual winner is a hefty one by Czech standards: a cool Kč 250,000.

In the running are the titles from the likes of bestselling and highly prolific author Michal Viewegh, the Czech answer to Nick Hornby albeit perhaps on a more pedestrian level, for “Another Wonderful Year” (Další báječný rok); visual artist Markéta Baňková, who took home the 2010 Magnesia Litera award for excellence in Czech literature for her children’s book “The Magpie in the Empire of Entropy ” (Straka v Říši Entropie); and the late Jan Balabán, who was awarded that competition’s main prize for his book “Ask Daddy” (Zeptej se táty), and Petr Šabach, known for his tragicomic tales of life under communism, for “With One Ear Happily” (S jedním uchem naveselo).

Viewegh, certainly the best-known author of the field, has returned to the diary form after a five-year absence, a decision he describes with his usual eloquence — as his literary agents put it — and which make for a fascinating and revealing new portrait of a writer at the top of his game. (Why it is being considered as a work of fiction is, however, unclear.)

“First, I hope that among the unavoidable banalities my diaries contain the occasional non-banal thought, keen observation, witticism, play on words, true emotion, confession, extraordinary encounter, cheering anecdote, and so on,” Viewegh said. “Second, I’m a passionate reader and I like to read the diaries of writers; if the diaries of today’s top-selling Spanish or Norwegian writer were to appear in Czech, I’d be sure to read them. Third, if my life has been banal at best, the reader has the right to ignore my diaries, right?”

Baňková perhaps could have an edge, as a known artist yet fresh face in the literary genre whose sense of humor shines throughout in her work. Having taken home the Magnesia Litera last year perhaps may also help her chance. But it seems she is somewhat indifferent. “My own successes gratify me less than the successes of my enemies,” she writes on her website, before introducing her apparent tounge-in-cheek alter ego, Mikva, “a woman who who bears not the slightest resemblance to the former girl.”

The envelope please ...

Only titles that were published between June 2010 and May 2011 are considered. The finalist should be named in late October by the 17-member jury, who each cast their votes for the five best works, in order, with the top choice receiving five points. In the event of a tie (each title receiving an equal total number of points), jury chairman Vladimír Karfík names the winner. Last year’s Josef Škvorecký Award winner was Emil Hakl (‘Rules of Ridiculous Behavior’), who beat out celebrated author Milan Kundera.

Last year’s Josef Škvorecký Award winner was Emil Hakl for “Rules of Ridiculous Behavior” (Pravidla směšného chování), who beat out celebrated author Milan Kundera. “Hakl’s book is a generation testimony and stands out largely thanks to its idiosyncratic language. He managed to transform contemporary vernacular into a literary or even poetic one,” Karfik said at the time. “Original language and peculiar worldview are the most crucial tools for an author. I believe that Emil Hakl’s contribution hasn’t been properly recognized yet.”

Previous winners include Tomáš Zmeškal in 2009 for “Love Letter in Cunieform Script” (Milostný dopis klínovým písmem) and Petra Hůlová in 2008 for “Taiga Station” (Stanice Tajga); her first novel, “Memory for my Grandmother” (Paměť mojí babičce) from 2002, won a number of literary awards at the very beginning of her career.

Titles nominated for the 2011 Josef Škvorecký Award

Hana Androniková, “Nebe nemá dno,” Odeon, 2010
Jan Balabán, “Zeptej se táty,” Host, 2010
Markéta Baňková, “Straka v říši entropie,” Nakladatelství Petr Prchal, 2010
Radka Denemarková, “Kobold,” Host, 2011
Pavel Göbl, “Penis pravdy 2012,” Dauphin, 2010
Jaroslav Kovanda, “Gumový betlém,” Torst, 2010
Zdeněk Mahler, “Muž, který přežil Lidice,” Jota, 2011
Stanislav Moc, “Schůzky s ďáblem,” Šulc – Švarc, 2010
Petr Pazdera Payne, “Pouti a pouta,” Theo, 2011
Jaroslav Rudiš, “Konec punku v Helsinkách,” Labyrint, 2010
Martin Ryšavý, “Vrač,” Revolver Revue, 2010
Petr Šabach, “S jedním uchem naveselo,” Listen, 2011
Jiří Šulc, “Mosty do Tel Avivu,” Knižní klub, 2010
Michal Viewegh, “Další báječný rok,” Druhé město, 2011
Ivo Tretera, “Vzpomínky na Bohumila Hrabala a na život vůbec,” Paseka, 2011

Autor:

Akční letáky
Akční letáky

Prohlédněte si akční letáky všech obchodů hezky na jednom místě!